Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Big Beautiful Blue: Rain & A Mirror


Sometimes, we catch little glimpses of heaven here on earth. They're not necessarily visions, or giant momentous occasions, or miraculous interventions. Sometimes, heaven on earth is a simple thing. A small, otherwise trivial thing, that comes along at the perfect time.

We had thunderstorms last night. After weeks and weeks of bright, blinding sun and 100 degree weather, I walked out of my building yesterday evening to a strong cool breeze, dark bluish-purple clouds billowing toward me. I found myself standing in the parking lot like a dope, smiling, soaking it all in. It was exactly what I needed, at exactly the right time. For about two minutes, as I stood stock still, wind whipping my hair, coworkers passing by and thinking I'd lost my mind, it was more restful than a week of vacation. More restful than a long night's sleep. In those two minutes, as I faced the roaring violet blue of the approaching storm... it was a little glimpse of heaven on earth.

Another fortuitous aspect of this much needed night of cool air and wall shaking thunder was the fact that my project (the newly minted Big Blue Mirror shown here) was completed and not still lying in the backyard when the gushing wall of water began to fall from the sky. Big Blue's paint was completely dry and safely in the house.



I got home just as the storm rolled in. I sat on the porch, in my heels and dress slacks, arms around my knees like a little kid. Ozone filled the air and my sister joined me, as we ooed and ahhhed about how cold the air was. Weather seems to be the one event that reduces all adults to kid-like states. No matter how old, we're all filled with wonder and excitement at the swirling whiteness of snow in December or the blue loveliness of a summer rain.

The thunder clapped and trees swayed. Rain fell on the garden out pack, on the flower beds in front and I declared I might sleep on the front porch. Of course, that didn't happen. But it seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.


And as the aqua sky grew darker, and the rain fell harder, we retreated inside. And I set up my project, Big Blue, in his new home on the console.

I found him a few weeks ago at a local flea market. His frame was almost a glittery gold. Very Marie Antoinette. Very Vegas. And frankly, the price tag was a little more than I wanted to pay.


But after two weeks of kicking myself for not buying him, I ventured back to find he was still there. Still glittery, a little forlorn. So I bought him and the spray painting began.


The big lamp also got a new coat of paint. As you'll remember it was aqua, but I figured an aqua mirror and lamp was a bit much. There's been A LOT of spray painting going on around here lately, and my brain cells have declared our yard a spray free zone for the next few months.

We'll see how that rule holds up.


And after I set up Big Blue in his new home, I couldn't help but venture back outside to the cool weather and swaying trees. Rain dripped off the eaves as the streetlight glowed green, reminding me of Harry Potter and Madeline L'Engle books. It was a little piece of heaven. A little bit of magic on an otherwise ordinary Tuesday night.



It was a big, beautiful, blue night.