Monday, November 5, 2012

My Other Life


I don't talk much about my work-life on this blog, in terms of what I do and so forth. 
It just doesn't seem smart.
I mean... it is possible to share too much of yourself.
But I will say this.
I do not blog for a living.
I think sometimes people come here and think that my blog is more successful than it really is.
And they wish they were making money from their blog and having 
to work less.
I never want people to feel that way after coming here.

So this is my office.
I have a stable job and have worked at the same place for the last 7 years.
I have good insurance, 
I like my coworkers,
and I try to be an asset.

And after spending 7 years in a building with no windows (none, anywhere!)
and asbestos signs in the stairwells,
I want to pinch myself every time I look out this window.



I think we all have this burning desire to blog for a living.
To get paid for doing the things we love at home.
But I also know that there's a lot to be said for a stable paycheck.
And affordable health insurance for Jane and me.
There's a lot to be said for dressing up,
and interacting with people.
There's a lot to be said for a schedule that makes me
accountable, and so much more appreciative of the weekends.
There's a lot to be said for working.

So if you came here today feeling down in the dumps about your job, 
about your blog,
I hope maybe, just maybe,
I lifted your spirits just a bit.