Wednesday, December 19, 2012

And I Keep Saying Goodbye To My Sisters...

Rachel and her sweet husband are moving away today. He graduated and found a job... and they're leaving today. She came over last night, bringing more paint and borrowed movies. We skyped with Rebecca. We all laughed about Rebecca's students, Jane, and farting (those last two not being mutually exclusive). I gave Rebecca a house tour by carrying my phone around camera-forward, and we marveled at the fact that the previous owners deemed it prudent to use oil paint on all the upstairs trim in the same color as Melanie Griffith's pantyhose in the movie Working Girl.

My sisters are probably the only two people on earth who dislike that shade of beige as much as me.

I don't like saying goodbye to my sisters. In fact, it is a hole in my heart. But this is the world we live in. It's a world where you have to stretch your wings and create a life for yourself. That life might not be near family, or sisters, or friends. And I have to remember that Rebecca and Rachel are not responsible for my happiness. No one is. Just me.

So I will be happy. Why? Because I ignore reality and stick my head in the ground and pretend? No. Because I believe God commands me to be happy. Content. Grateful.

"Be joyful always." 1 Thessalonians 5:16

What a tiny verse. What a powerful message. Be joyful. ALWAYS.

When sisters move away.
When loved ones pass.
When money is gone.
When everyone around you says, "I don't know how you're doing this."

Be joyful.

This is the part of being a Christian that doesn't make sense to the world. But oh how it will change your life.

So instead of focusing on the my loss, I'm choosing joy (as my good friend Sara always preached). I'm focusing on how lucky I am to have easy access to my sisters. Phone calls no longer cost $20 a pop for "long distance charges" anymore. Face to face skyping... I mean.. how amazing is this age we live in? It blew my mind last night that my sister and I (in Little Rock, Arkansas) were talking in real time with Rebecca in CHINA while admiring her nose ring. It's amazing and I'm thankful.

Today, I will be joyful. And as always, oh so very proud of my sisters.